Campus Security Questions
Campus Visits – What to Ask
Visiting campuses and going to school open houses is one of the most exciting times in a young adult’s life, and one of the scariest times for parents. You’re sending your child off to someplace that’s not your home for four years! As parents, we have to think of the practical questions we should be asking during campus tours.
We’ve compiled a list of questions that you may want to consider asking when you’re touring campuses. Every school has to be able to answer these types of questions. Thanks to the Clery Act, schools have to make their security reports public knowledge.
- How can I find your annual security report on your website?
- When my child/I call during an emergency, where does my call go?
- Who responds to the majority of the emergency calls?
- Do you have a Mass Notification System in place?
- Does your school offer any additional security measures other than campus security?
- Does your school utilize a safety apps system?
- How close is the nearest police station?
- Does your school offer a buddy system/ safety escort system?
When it comes to the safety of your child or yourself, you can never ask too many questions. A campus that truly cares about their students, faculty, and visitors will be happy to answer any and all of the questions above.